What Does the Bible Say About Abortion?
Genesis 1:27: “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”
· The Bible teaches that human life is different from other life forms on Earth; first of all, because mankind was made in the image of God.
Genesis 2:7: “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
· Also, we see that unlike every other creature, God’s own breath gave man life and instantly gave man an eternal soul.
Deuteronomy 30:19: “I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:”
· Here the Lord makes a direct comparison of life to a blessing and death to a curse. He further explains that when the choice of life and death is before you, choose life!
Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations” (NKJV).
· God clearly explains to Jeremiah that He is still purposefully “forming” individuals one at a time.
· The Lord makes it “personal” when He tells Jeremiah, “I knew you; before you were born.”
· He further reveals that there was a divine plan for Jeremiah’s purpose while he was still in the womb.
Jeremiah 20:17: “Because he did not kill me from the womb, That my mother might have been my grave, And her womb always enlarged with me” (NKJV).
· Even though Jeremiah wishes he wasn’t alive in chapter twenty, he still conveys, as an anointed prophet of God, that had God eliminated him before birth it would have been a “killing”; and quite literally, his mother’s womb would have been his grave!
I Corinthians 6:19-20: “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s” (NKJV).
· In Paul’s New Testament writings it should be clear to us that our bodies are not owned by us. Jesus Christ purchased our bodies at Calvary, and He alone owns them and has the right to alter them.
Summary: There are many other scriptures in the Old and New Testaments that speak to the sanctity of life and God’s preservation of innocent life, but the passages above seem to be more directly applicable to the topic of abortion. I believe the following to be a logical application of these scriptures:
Since God created innocent human life and made man in His image, it is not within our rights or authority to take or end innocent, human life—namely an unborn child. Also, since God’s breath granted mankind his eternal soul and not earthly air, we can safely deduce that an unborn child living in the uterus is “breathing” according to God’s plan and therefore has an eternal soul that should not be altered by us.
Since God considers life to be a blessing and death to be a curse, abortion should forever be considered a cursed deed. Additionally, God has clearly instructed us to choose life when faced with the option of life and death. When a mother is presented the option of preserving or ending her child’s life, she should choose life!